Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Oh Honduras

I believe most of the world is aware by now, but for those of you who don't know, there was a military coup here in Honduras on Sunday. I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm safe and to tell a little bit about what's going on here. I'm not sure how it appears to everyone on the outside or how the international press is describing things, but where I am, things are actually just like normal. I believe the only protesting is going on in Tegucigalpa, which conveniently is 12 hours away (although it didn't feel as convenient when I had to go for my medical checkup). People outside of Honduras know more about what's going on than a lot of people here do, but I think everyone is just waiting to see how this plays out. Peace Corps has us on standfast, which means we aren't allowed to travel anywhere, and has told us to have passports ready and our bags packed just in case we have to be evacuated. So far I haven't heard that this is going to happen but it's been a waiting game for the last couple days. Not very fun.

This is the news for now and I hope everyone is doing well and not too hot now that it's almost July.

4 comments:

loran said...

Hi Sarah...thank you for the update and for letting us know you are safe. We'll be thinking of you and waiting for more info soon. Loran

Anonymous said...

As we get more news little by little, we're thinking of you and hoping that you are safe and distant from the chaos. Love, Sally and Andy A.

patrice said...

Hi Sarah,
I've been thinking of you a lot lately because of what we have been hearing on the news. I'm so glad that you are "safe and sound."
By the way, yes you are a risk taker. You are also a "cut above." Your caring and hard work for the sake of others is impressive.
Take good care.
Patrice

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, we are getting text updates daily from your Mother. So thankful that you are back at your home safe and sound. Keep up the blogging so we can hear from you too.

We love you, Paul, Janie, Shelby, Paul